An Introduction to CBD
CBD, or Cannabidiol, is a naturally occurring compound found in the flower of the cannabis plant. It’s a relatively new addition to the beauty landscape, but CBD has garnered a lot of attention. The saturation of CBD products in the market, as a result of the emerging trend, can make it difficult to navigate. Fear not, we’re here to help you demystify CBD. But first, a clarification is in order: CBD is a safe, non-addictive, non-psychoactive compound that research is discovering may have many potential benefits.
Here’s What We Know
- CBD is rich in Omega 3 and 6, which are both essential fatty acids that are used by the body. They are nutrients that maintain healthy skin by boosting the elasticity of the cell membrane and improving moisture retention.
- The body actually has two receptors with the sole purpose of processing cannabinoids. These receptors are called CB1 and CB2; the former is primarily found in the brain and the nervous system, while the latter is found in peripheral organs, especially immune cells. This means that the body is specially equipped to absorb and process cannabinoids.
- The natural compound of CBD has no known side effects. It can be produced organically to create a clean supplement which can be taken orally or applied to the body. In this respect, it has an edge over topical medications used to treat skin conditions, as they often have a worryingly long list of side effects.
Potential Uses of CBD
- Minimising signs of ageing: These signs are often the result of oxidative stress caused by free radicals: more simply, ageing is the result of damaged skin cells and tissue. Research suggests that CBD could be used to treat signs of ageing due to its antioxidant properties, which are known to neutralise free radicals, thereby protecting the skin from damage.
- Minimising the appearance of acne: As an anti-inflammatory, scientists believe that CBD could effectively calm the inflamed skin surrounding acne and reduce the redness that makes it so attention-grabbing.
- Treating skin conditions: Many people suffer from conditions like eczema and psoriasis which cause discomfort and irritation. Many anecdotal accounts suggest CBD has assisted in reducing the symptoms of these conditions and more and more research is being undertaken. With eczema, it has been suggested that CBD’s fatty acids can soothe the itching and inflammation by combating the excessive water loss of the condition. The potential anti-inflammatory quality of CBD could make it equally effective with easing the symptoms of psoriasis.
Whilst CBD is a relatively new arrival into the beauty-sphere, finding a trustworthy and knowledgeable distributor is never too much to ask. We have worked with MariPharm to create two bespoke treatments, including a CBD facial, for our spas. The rich and respected history of the MariPharm team, paired with their much-loved products, confirmed that they were our perfect match.
An anti-inflammatory version of our signature Cowshed facial, this treatment uses MariPharm’s CBD-infused cream and aims to help calm irritated, inflamed skin and address issues such as hormonal acne, rosacea, psoriasis and eczema. 60 minutes, £95. Book now >
Our signature de-stressing Moody massage is enhanced with the addition of MariPharm’s essential oil that has the topical benefits of the cannabis plant. This treatment is geared towards helping alleviate pain or discomfort. The oil is massaged directly into the affected area using heated Thai compressors which also help relax the muscles. 60 minutes, £105. Book now >